Photographers

Dear Photographers

Thank you so much for all the lovely emails I receive, I really appreciate your kind comments about my work. Sadly, I am unable to answer these on a individual basis. I will answer the most commonly asked questions below, I hope this helps! Please don’t take it personally when I don’t reply – I work very long hours so when I get free time I like to spend it with my family.

1) What camera/lenses/editing software do you use?

I use 2 Canon 5D Mark 3’s with a Canon 100mm macro, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 35 1.4L lens and a 85mm 1.8 lens for newborn sessions. I also use the 24-105, 135, and the 70-200 2.8L for family shots and location portraiture. I use Photoshop & Bridge for all my editing.

2) What camera settings do you use?

It all depends on the lighting conditions and the look I am looking to achieve.

3) Do you shoot with natural light?

Yes, 90% of the time. The other 10% I use Profoto studio lighting.

4) Can I come and shadow you/assist you for the day/be your apprentice/ do you offer work experience?

Unfortunately the answer to that is a no, I work on my own and feel the most comfortable this way.

4) Do you offer courses, workshops, mentoring or one-2-one tuition or will you in the future?

This is available by request – my day rate is £1500 + vat. This can be shared for up to a max of 3 people. The day would be tailored to specific requirements and the day rate assumes a weekday.  Please do get in touch if you have any questions.

5) Can I have some hints and tips and advice on how to make my photos look like yours?

The answer is… you really don’t want that. Please never aspire to make your images to look like someone else’s.

Photography comes from within – up to a certain point you either have it, or you don’t. You may be technically 100% astute but that will not give your images soul. Your images have a piece of you in them, and there is no way to replicate that and it cannot be taught.

Additionally of course, editing techniques, lighting used and lot of other factors determine the end result.

It took me a long time to get where I am and develop my style, mostly through hard work, research and a hell of a lot of practice.

My advice to any new or aspiring photographer is to practice, practice, practice and work on developing your own unique style & look. Copies of other people’s work will look just like what they are – copies. So just because someone you put a baby in a hat, it does not make it a good picture, a lot of other things need to come together to make it a beautiful image.

6) So can you tell me anything at all?

Apart from the above, I do offer a more business orientated One-2-One Service, this is  charged at £1500+ vat per day. It involves examining your business model and making practical changes to make your business more successful.

LASTLY , AND SADLY THIS IS A WARNING – I HAVE NOTICED A HUGE INCREASE IN THE “COPY & PASTE” CULTURE. IF YOU ARE A PHOTOGRAPHER AND YOU PARTICULARLY LIKE A PARAGRAPH I MIGHT HAVE WRITTEN AND YOU THINK ITS OK TO STEAL THAT TEXT AND POP IT ON YOUR WEBSITE, PLEASE THINK AGAIN. I CHECK ALL MY WEBSITES WITH COPYSCAPE ON A REGULAR BASIS AND WILL NOT TOLERATE ANYONE DOING THIS. IT IS COMMON THEFT AND AGAINST THE LAW. SO – PLEASE JUST DON’T DO IT. THANKS!